Wednesday, August 10, 2011

I Thought I Learned How to Snack in Kindergarten

My last big run was supposed to be 11 miles, but I only had 10 in me. Why? Because 10 miles is a damn lot of miles, that's why. And there's this nutrition issue.

You see, I told my iPod that I'm 5-foot-10 and 155 pounds. A while back, I ran 7 miles and my iPod told me I burnt 817 calories. By way of comparison, a Dunkin Donuts Coffee Coolatta is 904 calories.

The point is by the time I'd finished 10 miles, I was out of fuel. Hell, by 8 miles I was out of fuel. Mile 8 was hard, mile 9 was miserable and mile 10 was more harm than good.

So what am I going to do when I run 26.2 miles?

Well, eat, that's what. And I need to practice doing it now. So I ordered one of these:

Camelbak Quick Grip, $19

It's called a Camelbak Quick Grip. The backpack thing, I mean. the water bottle is a water bottle, and I already run with one of those. I guess I sort of figure that the water bottle backpack has enough room to store some raisins or orange slices or gels or something. I can have a quick bite around mile 6 and have the fuel I need to get to mile 10 when I can have some more.

I dunno. Maybe I'm being stupid. Maybe what I need is a little lunchbox I can leave on my route with a little letter that says, "please don't steal my running food. If this box is gone when I get back, I'll kick your ass."

Problem is then I have to run a mile with a box, so I dunno.

Maybe I need one of these instead. It just seems so effing big.

Camelbak Delanay, $39.

It's a belt pack. I don't know how I feel about that. It's horribly nerdy, but it's got storage for what I need on the big runs. Is it the tool I need? Is it stupid? Does anybody have one I can try out? Do they have a rental I can try for $1 a day? Am I missing an easy and obvious idea that has nothing to do with this stuff? Help!

Ok, that's enough from me. I ran 10 miles and also ran out of fuel. I'm an idiot and need to fix it and don't know how and don't really want to spent a ton of money doing it.

In my next post, I'll write about the drunkards who cheered for me on my 10-mile run. That was great.

No comments:

Post a Comment