Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Best Training Partner I Know Of


That's right: the iPod Shuffle. And I'll tell you why.

First, most people like to listen to music while running, biking, or working out in general. It helps us keep focus. Plus, I'd rather listen to Anthrax than my own breathing. You ever listen to yourself breathe while running? It's harrowing.

And let's face it, the music they play at the gym is comical. Last time at the gym, in that gap between really heavy Testament songs, I heard snippets of such insipid top-40 crap, even though I made a mental note to remember what that one song was, it's gone now. I cannot imagine trying to lift weights listening to Lady Gaga. That would inspire me to stay the eff home.

iPod Shuffles, from the second generation on, have a built-in clip. There's a healthy after market accessory business for watch bands and arm bands and other similar stuff, but I just clip the iPod to my waist band on my shorts, route the earbuds under my shirt, and am good. This works for me while running, cycling, and gymming, no problem.

An iPod Shuffle is tiny and cheap. Buying a brand new one from Apple will set you back $50. People don't think about this properly, by the way. They (you) think "$50 just for a tiny little iPod?! WTF." But they (you) think wrong.

What they (you) should be thinking is, "what will it take to get me out there running, cycling, or lifting weights? Will an iPod help make doing these (good) things easier? Will it cut down on the number of obstacles in my way? Is [losing weight/getting into shape/staying healthy/staying alive] something I value? Will $50 help me achieve this goal?"

It's why when people own and use iPods but buy an Android phone makes me crazy. Android phones check a bunch of stuff off a list: email, web browser, music, texting. But none of it works well, and getting your music from iTunes, which you already use, onto your Android phone isn't easy. You're doing yourself a disservice. Why? The difference of $100? For a phone you're going to have at minimum one year (an extra $8.33 per month), probably closer to two ($4.16 per month)?

People, we need to be talking ourselves into doing what's best for us over the long term, not saving a few dollars and getting something sorta kinda ok.

After all, there's no better phone at any cost than the iPhone. Don't settle for something stupid.

And the same goes for the iPod Shuffle. There's nothing as good or as easy at any cost, especially since you're already using iTunes for all your music needs. Just plug it in, drag some songs, and go lift weights.

Lego Stormtrooper for scale.

That's my red, second-generation iPod Shuffle. 1GB. No playlists. Effective weight of zero. Best friend.

Of course, there are reasons not to get one. You already have an iPod Nano, for instance. Those are pretty good for working out. A little on the heavy side. They require a $20 (at minimum) arm-band, though. And in my experience, when you've got choices and buttons and a screen, you've got an excuse to screw around and mess with stuff and not lift weights. Maybe you're different, but that's my experience.

The other reason not to get one is... I'm not sure. Maybe you work out in your basement and have a nice stereo set up already. That'd be a good reason. But if you can work out in your own basement and have your own music, you're not really the intended audience of this blog post anyway.

I'm gonna keep saying this till I'm blue in the face and you all understand it: when the good choice is the easy choice, we all do good. Eliminate reasons not to do good, and you'll do good. Talk yourself into the good thing, and don't settle for something janky you'll have to replace with what you should have got in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment