Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Inertia: I've Got the Ball Rolling

This poster hangs in the free-weights room of my new gym.


I joined the gym yesterday. It's got everything I need and want, and a lot of stuff I don't know or care about besides.

The gym is called Kennedy Club Fitness, and while I think it's silly for a gym to have beer on tap, the beer is one of the best local beers there is.

Plus, their pool facilities are extensive, and there are at least five different machines that my knee is already benefitting from. This is important because the whole point of this blog is my training to run a marathon.

So: the cardio room is well-equipped with treadmills, stationary bikes, and ellipticals. And TVs. God, so many TVs. One major disadvantage to "running" indoors is the view never changes and TV is distracting. It's really canned running. I don't like it, but I like the way it makes my body feel, and I need it if I'm gonna do a marathon. But I hope I can graduate to running on the track at the high school (¼-mile) or gym (¹⁄₅-mile) sooner than later. It's really hard to zen out when you're being bombarded by TV.

On the other hand, I can put movies or TV shows on my iPhone and watch them on some of the smaller screens attached to some of the machines. It might not be so bad if I'm watching what want to watch.

Kennedy in Atascadero also has this sort of "free-weight machines" room. To adjust the weight on any of them, you pick up and move big cast iron plates and put them in place. But they're all attached to arms and pivots so it's sort of half free-weight, half weight machine. And all killer.

Last night's workout was more error than trial, but I think I'm dialing it in. It turns out I need to be using machines on all three(!) floors of the gym, in all but one of the equipment rooms. Plus, I'll be swimming sometimes, too. I like triathlons a lot, you see.

I'm feeling wonderfully sore this morning. I don't feel tore up, I feel worked out. It's a great feeling, and I love it. I'm taking today off, since yesterday was my first time to a gym in over two months. Give my body a little time to acclimate. But I'm developing habits here. And muscle tone.

No comments:

Post a Comment