Friday, July 1, 2011

Blaine's Role in My First Marathon

Quickly: Don't let me get away with being a weenie.

Excuse crusher Blaine on the left, excuse maker me on the right.


I don't know what my deal is. I want to run a marathon. But I keep coming up with reasons I can't or shouldn't. I'm an idiot. The following is an email exchange between us this morning:
Blaine: Have you started jogging yet?
Me: I don't have shoes yet. I've been on the elliptical and I'm lifting weights and swimming, but not running proper yet. I know I'm falling behind, and I'm not sure I'm gonna make it this year. My days are just so tightly compressed. I don't know. I need to get better at my job. 
Blaine: "I'm not sure I'm gonna make it this year?" WTF? You COMMITTED! You BLOGGED! You can't back out on me now!... Seriously though, don't push yourself if you don't think you're ready. Jenn's advice, while on the whimpy side, is probably wise. You don't want to re-injure yourself. Although there may still be time: I've never trained seriously for more than about three months, if that means anything.
What the hell is wrong with me? Why do I keep doing this? I love running. It's my favorite thing. I am being stupid, making excuses, and I need to man up, get my shoes, and get going. That is my goal for this weekend.

And with a track at the gym and the high school tracks both available to me, there's just no reason I can't get out and go run.

I will update again when I've purchased shoes.

Unequivocal thank you to Blaine for not letting me get away with this idiocy.

1 comment:

  1. Hopefully Jenn doesn’t take any offense. If I’d known this exchange was going to be published, I probably would have worded it differently. Nevertheless, I stand by the spirit of what I said. Mostly I just want to see the look of pride on your face when you finish (behind me, of course)!

    -Blaine-

    ReplyDelete