Monday, July 4, 2011

Trial Run

I got my new shoes yesterday, and tonight, I went for a trial run.

It was good. I did well. I only walked once, and then only about 10 steps. I had to burp, and all the up and down motion was preventing it.

Tonight, I ran for time, not distance. The time was 20 minutes. I kept the time with a 2-song playlist: If I Could Fly, 3:30; and The Keeper's Trilogy, 17:06, both by Helloween. Total running time of 20:36. I could have gotten more precise, but I like both those songs quite a lot.

And I did just about everything wrong. I ate too much and ate it too recently. I wore a cotton shirt. I didn't bring water — thought in my defense, I was running at the high school track where there are water fountains. It wasn't my fault the water was turned off. I didn't have chap stick. My sock was a little irritating on my left foot, but who cares, it's only 20 minutes.

I did 8½ laps in that time, and I did them in lane 4. Laps in lane 1 are ¼ mile, so I assume that in lane 4, they're very slightly over ¼ mile. Meaning in 20:36, I ran just over 2⅛ miles or not quite 4 kilometers.

And I feel pretty good. My guts aren't particularly happy, but my knee's ok. It protested a little at the beginning, but I altered my gait, and that took care of that. My feet aren't used to running and are all twingy and weird, and my hips feel funny. I can't remember if this is how I felt back in the day when I first started running or not.

My goal for the immediate future: lots of nice cold water, some ibuprofen, a shower, and bed. I'll get up, work, and do it again. Somewhere in between, I'll publish the running schedule Blaine made up for me to get me marathon ready in time for the Long Beach Marathon.

1 comment:

  1. All in all it sounds like your run went according to plan. Of course you don't plan on weird things like your sock not being right. But you did it even with all the little mishaps. You have a crazy dedication that I don't understand but I'm proud of.

    ReplyDelete