Monday, July 11, 2011

Mister Brightside

Today was an interesting day. The gym I go to gives three free personal training sessions to folks. I had my first one during my lunch today. There was no training, just paperwork, and talking about my health goals so I could get paired with a a trainer who would best fit my needs.

So that's pretty heartening. I'll head back Friday to get actual training by an actual person. I look forward to that. I get a lady trainer who's done marathons and body building, and if the picture on the wall is any indication, she's hot, which will lend credibility to her advise.

Then I went for my regularly scheduled 3-mile run. It went well despite dumb stuff.

First: Dream Theater, while the official band of my bike shop, is not the official band of running. They suck to run to. Suck. I don't know why I didn't just skip forward to the new Amorphis album. Underslept and overrun, I guess.


Another lame thing that happened is half a mile into the run, I got a gnarly thorn in the side of my shoe. It sent me straight to the curb which was a bummer, but taking it out was easy. It should be. It was about a quarter of an inch long.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the spider-bites. I assume they're spider-bites, anyway. The weather's been insane lately, and the other night, I slept with a lot of sheets off and woke up with my left foot looking like it's got the pox. Here's what it looked like immediately after my run:


But here's the thing: for all that, it was a great run! I feel fantastic! On that final stretch home, some girls cheered out of their car at me. It might have been mocking, but I don't know that for sure, so I choose to believe they were cheering, not jeering. I choose to believe I showed them what a real man looks like, and made them all feel slightly bad knowing they were headed back to skinny, toneless 19-year-old boys with scraggly beards.

So I feel great right now, showered and watered. I didn't feel so great during the run, but right now, I feel like I'm right on schedule. Bring it on. Wednesday's 4-miles? I'm ready.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe the spider was radioactive and you'll end up with superpowers!


    -Blaine-

    ReplyDelete