Tuesday, July 26, 2011

My Worst Run Yet

It was horrible. Seven miles in one hour, four minutes. That's a pace of over nine minutes per mile. Mind you, if I can maintain that for 26.2 miles, I'll still come in at just about four hours, but I want to be doing better for my shorter practice runs. Let me tell you why it sucked.

Over the weekend, I rode my mountain bike 11 miles on a cool race out in Santa Margarita. Eleven miles on a bike is a lot like 44 miles on a road bike. I think a 1:4 ratio is about right because on a road bike, you're pushing muscle, but the bike itself is lighter. Mountain bikes are heavier, plus you're going down mountains with rocks and switchbacks and roots and it beats a rider up a lot more.

It was my first mountain bike ride in about a year, and it beat me up. I don't think I was fully recovered yet. Running seven miles on the heels of that ride was hard.

Also, I'm both a writer and a runner. I don't follow your advice when I'm writing because you're not a writer. Thus, your advice is worthless. But for some reason, I followed the advise of my wife, a non-runner, when it came to my route last night, and it hosed me.

I took a different street, past friend Hilary's house, and then I had a steep uphill for about 1/2 to 2/3 of a mile. Then I ran 3/4 of a mile around the lake which was horrible because of the traffic and also the uneven treacherous ground. So that portion was inconvenient, irritating, and scary. I was able to get back onto my normal route, but the damage had been done.

I'm not upset at my wife. It's not like she was being malicious. But again, I wouldn't follow your advice for writing, I should not have followed her advice for running.

Lastly, life being what life is, I missed my last two runs. (Thanks, life — jerk.) I hated the idea of just not doing them, so I played catchup by doing my big run on Monday evening. So aside from the bike ride and the stupid lake, I just wasn't as conditioned as I'd have liked to be.

But let's be clear on this: I ran seven miles successfully and without dying. I listened to some great metal while doing it. And it was my longest run since I started again. And here it is the next day and while I am a little sore, I'm not cursing the world. And you know what they say: a bad day running is better than a good day at work.

And it was. And I'll do it again.

2 comments:

  1. You're so whiny. :) You ran. You're nuts cause you actually enjoy running, but you do and you did it. And it was not the golf course and you can walk today. I hope it's the worst thing that happens throughout your training. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Just had the best run in MONTHS last night. Went for about an hour. Felt Strong the whole time. Was able to push the pace at will.

    Can't wait for October


    -Blaine-

    ReplyDelete